Monday, March 30, 2009

Haskell Series Kickoff

I know many multilingual people but most only speak one language... programmers usually know multiple computer languages. It's good to know more than one programming language, but I recommend picking one from a paradigm you don't already know. There is a fair chance you have some familiarity with an imperative and/or object-oriented language such as: C, Java, C++, Pascal, C#, and many more. Until a couple years ago I was in the same boat, then I read the wonderful book The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (aka the wizard book).

The wizard book uses a LISP-dialect called Scheme which is in the functional language paradigm. Another popular functional language is Haskell, this is my favorite functional language. I learned Haskell by reading A Gentle Introduction to Haskell and doing (most of) the Ninety-Nine Haskell Problems along the way. Adding these two resources with a decent amount of time proved to be a winning formula for learning Haskell.

I've always enjoyed programming with Haskell and using my new Haskell-inspired problem solving skills in other languages as well. I figured others might feel the same way so this post is the kickoff for a series on Haskell. I'll take you through the previously mentioned resources and add my own perspectives here and there.

I'll try to get a post up every week or so and I'd really appreciate your feedback so please leave comments. The first post will focus on the fundamentals of the Haskell type system.

2 comments: